This article originally appeared on Latrobevalleyexpress.com.au
Traralgon Show organisers are forging ahead with plans to hold this year’s event in early December despite news that the Royal Melbourne Show was cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Traralgon and District Agricultural Show committee member Caitlin Grigsby said they had applied with Victorian Agricultural Shows to hold the event on December 4-5, after which it would need council approval to secure the dates. The Traralgon Show was cancelled in the past two years and was rained out in 2017.
The committee canned the show in 2018 due to structural damage to the pavilion, and had put it on ice last year to reinvigorate the event with sponsorship and further building renovations.
Ms Grigsby said committee members were hoping current lockdowns would be lifted by December for the 130th Traralgon Show to proceed.
“It’s more important than ever for this show to go ahead, this is our 130th show and it’s really significant. We are still working our backsides off and hope it happens, but we still don’t know,” Ms Grigsby told The Express.
“It’s incredibly sad about the Royal Melbourne Show, it’s been hard for them because of the hand they’ve been dealt with, and we may face the same situation, who knows where we will be in November, December?”
Ms Grigsby said show organisers had applied for a $200,000 federal government grant to renovate the arts and crafts pavilion and were working with local community groups and businesses.
Last year, the show society secured $20,000 in sponsorship for pavilion repairs, and earlier this year Gippsland Ranges Roller Derby unveiled a revamped room at the showgrounds courtesy of a $100,000 Latrobe Valley Authority grant.
“We’ve started the legwork for funding, even if we don’t get this grant, it’s our intention to proceed with the show,” Ms Grigsby said.